Jewellery Guides

Craftsmanship, Materials & Sustainability

Item of Handmade Jewellery By Guthrie's
All of Guthrie’s Jewellery is Made to Order in Auckland City.

Our Craftsmanship

We’ve been crafting fine jewellery in Auckland for over 50 years. Most of our jewellery is handmade, and every item is made to order. Our jewellers are artisans, and take great pride in their work – it is their art. 

We use only the best production methods and ensure a full weight of metal in every piece. As a result, you can feel the difference in our jewellery and can tell instantly it’s meant to last. 

We allow our clients to choose the method that suits them best under our recommendations. Outlined are our options below:

Handmade Jewellery

Nothing that can compare to a handmade piece of jewellery. Having your item handcrafted by one of our skilled jewellers allows us to enhance the weight of metal in your piece, resulting in a superior product.

In the fabrication process, pieces of precious metal are soldered, sawed, carved, and shaped without the use of manufacturing machinery. A machine produces hundreds of units per hour, while an individual can only make a finite quantity. Why does this matter? Attention to detail.

As this is the most labour intensive method, handmade items do come at a small premium. 

Cast & Hand Finished Jewellery

For many pieces however casting is a perfectly suited method. We use the latest technology during this process to ensure an extremely high quality piece while using the efficiencies of modern technology. Once your ring is cast, it is then assembled and finished by one of our jewellers.

While this process still produces a lifelong piece, technology such as 3D modelling enables a significant reduction in both labour and time, which translates into a saving for you. This method is best suited to our fine jewellery and similar items.

Cast & Handmade Jewellery

This method involves handcrafting your setting (where your stone will sit), and casting the remaining elements of the ring. This offer encompasses the best of both worlds. 

The benefit to this is having the strongest material possible to protect your diamond or precious gemstone and using the efficiency of casting for your band.

This method works great for all types of jewellery from engagement rings to dress rings.

Our Materials

At Guthrie’s most of our items are made out of 18ct Yellow Gold and Platinum. These two materials are perfect for crafting handmade jewellery in that they are rare, long lasting and beautiful to wear.

We take great care in the places we source these materials from. We don’t use any metals that have alloy’s (other metals added for strength) that can react poorly with your skin.

In items such as fine jewellery we offer 14k and 9k white, yellow and rose gold, and as with all of our materials only use the very best.

We refrain from using 18ct white gold as this metal requires extra maintenance and tarnishes easily.


Our 18ct Gold

80% of the gold we use is from the existing supply. Gold is refined from many different sources and this allows the jewellery industry to greatly reduce its impact. Of the remaining 20% of gold, 90% of this is mined in the South Island of New Zealand.

The remaining 10% is made up of the gold that goes into our clasps and earring backs and similar findings, most of which are made in Italy. Guthrie’s works with these suppliers to ensure the best practices are implemented through the production process. 


The platinum and palladium alloys that we use are sourced through London Bullion Market Association (LBMA) accredited refiners in Switzerland. The LBMA adheres to responsible sourcing programs, including measures to combat money laundering and human rights abuses globally. 

Book a Consultation

Let us Walk you Through Your Options.

Book Now

Visit Our Studio

Visit our Newmarket Studio Today.

Our Location

Enter Your Search Query Below

Press enter to submit your search.

Get Started

Enter your query below and one of our friendly team will be in touch.